How is it even possible for me to disagree with BOTH sides in this whole “debate” around Dirk’s orientation?
Maybe it’s just something about the aura of self-rightenousness around this thing - the ridiculous conviction that shipping actually matters on one side and the counter-argument that tries to twist all of canon around in order to come up with an explanation that isn’t actually necessary on the other.
To clear up some bullshit:
1) Shipping doesn’t matter. It really doesn’t matter who you ship people with. No really. It does not. Let’s face it, shipping is basically glorified wank fantasies. And you can “do that” over whatever you want.
2) On the other hand, pretending that Dirk’s canon sexuality is more ambiguous than it really is isn’t necessary and is slightly insulting to people’s intelligence. The exact details are unclear, but what is pretty clear is that he’s into dudes and not girls. People don’t use the word “orientation” to talk about feelings about individuals, they use it to refer to gender.
3) Not that canon matters. I mean, if we’re going down the route of “we must respect canon” then we have to throw all the genderbent AUs out the window too. And all the demonstuck stuff and the douchestuck and every single other AU that’s ever existed. Shipping needn’t be dictated 100% by canon.
4) Still, it’s disingenuous to pretend that shipping Dirk with girls is the same as shipping John with boys, because we live in a hetero-centric culture where the vast majority of characters you see in media are still straight. Shipping Dirk with girls will inevitably feel a bit weird to some people when there are so many actual straight characters around. It’s perfectly okay for people to find it “weird” and they’re not oppressing anyone in doing so.
5) But still… it doesn’t actually matter. Because let’s just get one thing straight (er, sorry)… nobody is basing their decisions around whether to come out or whether to start a relationship around who you ship or don’t ship. Nobody is choosing to discriminate against LGBT people or not discriminate based on who you ship. Fictional characters don’t need the same respect real people need, because they’re not real.
And now I feel I’ve slightly debased myself by getting into this ridiculous discussion, so I’m going for a fucking long shower.